Friday, February 15, 2013

Blue Crab In Creamy Coconut Sauce ( Ketam masak Lemak)


I cook crabs in their shell very rarely as my husband think its such a waste of time going through the whole process when you only get one handful of meat after 1 hour of vigorous peeling! But he is not Asian you see. He doesn't really understand the concept of sitting on the dining table ( or in front of the tv ), with the whole family and spending time digging out the sweeeet juicy white meat. Me on the other hand, when it comes to crabs, I get very Malaysian. We spread a newspaper on the table, put our plate of crabs in the middle and go crazy enjoying every drop of juice which runs through your fingers. BEST!! 

Below are all the ingredients I had at home. I didn't really follow any recipe so this is all mine. It taster good so I am sharing. You can use any meat with the same sauce ingredients. 

1kg blue crabs – cleaned
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large shallots - diced
5 cloves of garlic - diced
1 lemon grass – bruised
1 teaspoon of ginger - dices
1 teaspoon of shrimp paste ( belacan )
1 teaspoon of chilli powder (more if you want)
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
1 tomato - diced
100ml coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of chopped coriander

1)      Clean the crab, cut into half, wash with salt and keep aside
2)      Heat up pan with oil, throw in shallots, garlic, ginger, lemon grass and shrimp paste. Fry for couple of minutes till brown
3)      Add the chili powder, oyster sauce, coconut milk on semi heat.
4)      Once the oil separates from the paste, add the crab and stir till crabs are cooked.
Add chopped coriander, serve hot with rice.


The coconut sauce paste

Stir Fry all together


TaaDaa!! All ready ( :
So what was cooking it your kitchen?


5 comments:

  1. Hello there! Have just popped in from G+! Love this dish, are you originally from Malaysia then? There's no "About Me" link, unless I just can't see it. Have subscribed to your feeds, Sunita, looking forward to staying in touch. I was born and bred in Singapore, half my family is in Malaysia these days. BTW, your Google Friend Connect isn't working, just says Page Not Found. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Azlin! Yes lived in Malaysia for 20 over years and moved to London about 8 years ago. I've got loads of family still in Malaysia and my brother lives in pasir ris (: i used to even work in suntec city. hahaha ..small world. im still in the process of getting my about me done.
    not sure why the friends connect isnt working, i added myself to it and it worked fine. but i dont really know how to check if it works! i have loads to learn about blogging.. haha hopefully with help and in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunita, It's Lovely !

    Can I please know how many minutes do I have to fry the the sauce ? Couple of minutes as in 2 minutes ?

    and how many minutes will it take for the crab to be cooked ? Does it look so orangy when it's cooked ? or ?

    Thank you and it's sure a lovely dish :) ! I will try it !

    On the weekend mostly :D !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Khalilo,

      Thank you! ok first fry shallots, garlic, ginger, lemon grass and shrimp paste for about 1 to 2 minutes ( till they start to turn brown),

      then add chili powder, oyster sauce, coconut milk on semi heat for about 8 to 10 minutes. The oil will separate from the sauce, then add the crabs. Yup they are cooked when they are red!

      I am glad you like this recipe. Do let me know how it turns out ( : good luck!

      Delete