I learnt something new today from Greg. Greg is from the finance department and I speak to him almost every day ( workstuff and gossips ) hehe. Anyways, during our chitchat today, he mentioned Gaslighting. I was like what?? Then he explained to me what it was. Interesting, very interesting.
From Wikipedia :
Gaslighting is a form of intimidation or psychological abuse in which false information is presented to the victim, making them doubt their own memory and perception. The classic example of gaslighting is to change things in a person's environment without their knowledge, and to explain that they "must be imagining things" when they challenge these changes.
· Your husband and you go out and he flirts with other girls, you confront him and he says you are the paranoid and insecure. But in real, he was flirting. Or vice-versa.
· Your boss gave you permission to do something but denies it in front of everyone. He then blames you for the failure of the project. He belittles you and makes you feel that you were the problem. You begin to question your competence.
· Your takes credit for your work and makes it look like you are doing a bad job. This is emotional bullying.
I am sure in some way all of us has experience this and are still questioning if you are to be blamed. I read the below online:
How do we know? If you consider answering "yes" to even one of the following questions, you've probably been gaslighted:
· Does your opinion of yourself change according to approval or disapproval from your spouse?
· When your boss praises you, do you feel as if you could conquer the world?
· Do you dread having small things go wrong at home - buying the wrong brand of toothpaste, not having dinner ready on time, a mistaken appointment written on the calendar?
On another note, I am currently watching the Finals for the European Cup!!
Barcelona 2 Manchester United a big fat 0!
DoobieBaby is not happy at all but I am hiding in the corner and smiling ( :
**This was the view from my hotel room; taken in King’s Lynn, Norfolk.